Watching shows, movies and sports on TV from mobile has been easier with Roku player. It comes with remote control with all the advanced features like channel shortcuts, TV controls, volume adjustment etc.
Many users often come across the technical issue volume button not working on their Roku remote. If the volume button does not work even after proper connection, then you have to consider this as a major issue.
In this article, we will give you the fixes to solve the Roku remote volume not working issue.
Fix Roku Remote Volume Not Working
There can be several reasons behind the Roku remote volume not working issue. Following are some potential solutions that you can try to fix the problem.
Fix 1: Re-Run “Set Up Remote for TV Control”
In case you recently receive a firmware update on your Roku stick, it may change your remote and device settings. To solve the issue, you need to run the setup of your remote again. Here’s how to do so:
- Turn on your Roku device and go to Settings.
- Click on Remotes and Devices> Remotes.
- Select Gaming Remote> Set Up Remote for TV Control.
Fix 2: Pair Roku Remote Again
If nothing works, repairing the Roku remote with your TV can fix the Roku volume not working issue. At this time you can connect your Roku TV without a remote.
To pair the Roku IR remote follow the process:
- Plugin Roku into the TV and power socket.
- Press the Source button on your TV or TV remote and select HDMI.
- Insert batteries into the Roku remote.
- Press any button on the remote. It’ll automatically pair the IR remote with your TV device.
To pair Roku Enhanced remote, follow the steps below:
- Remove the batteries from the remote.
- Remove the power cable from Roku, wait for 5 seconds and reconnect it again.
- When you see the Roku home screen on the TV, insert the batteries.
- Press and hold the pairing button inside the battery compartment for 3-5 seconds or until the pairing light starts flashing.
- The remote may take 30 seconds to complete the repairing process.
- Once it’s done, a remote pairing message will appear on the screen.
Fix 3: Try Different Remote Codes
Roku has two kinds of remote: Enhanced Remote and Standard Infrared (IR) Remote. While using Enhanced Remote, Roku volume might not work if the code programmed into the remote for your TV brand only contains commands to control power, not volume. So, using a different code can control the volume as well.
To try additional remote codes on the Roku player, restart the Roku Enhanced Remote setup process and follow the steps:
- When you hear the music stop and you’re asked, “Did the music stop playing?”, do not answer. Rather, turn up the volume using the TV remote until you hear the music.
- If still not hearing, answer the question with No. Then, Roku will try a new code.
- Keep repeating the process until your remote find the code that controls volume and power both.
- Once you hear the music stop with the new remote code, answer Yes. Your Roku Enhanced Remote will be programmed with that new code.
Fix 4: Change Roku Remote Batteries
Let’s start with a simple solution like changing your Roku remote batteries to fix the Roku remote volume not working. Roku remote control needs AA or AAA size batteries to perform. So, check whether you’re using the recommended batteries or not.
Similarly, damaged or deformed batteries can cause power supply issues and stop Roku volume from working. Hence, you might have to change the batteries.
Fix 5: Check Your Roku Setup
If still your Roku remote volume not working, check the setup of your Roku player with the TV.
- Make sure all the devices connected to the Roku player support the audio over HDMI.
- Unplug other devices connected between the TV and Roku. Unplugging a device may confirm whether that device is behind the Roku volume problem.
- Make sure your TV brand supports Roku. For example, Bang & Olufsen doesn’t support Roku players.
Fix 6: Clean the Remote
If the Roku volume is not working on your remote, open the remote control and clean it if there is any dust.
You need to remove the batteries first, then dismantle the remote with a screwdriver and wipe out dust or dirt with a cotton cloth. After it’s done, assemble it back again and check if the volume is working.
Fix 7: Install the Roku remote control app
To adjust the volume of your streaming device, you can download the Roku remote control app from the Google Play Store or the App Store. You can also check if there is any hardware problem with your Roku remote by using this app.
Hence, just install the app and connect it with the Roku device. Once done, you can use your mobile like a Roku remote. If the volume works properly with the app, it means you need to replace your Roku remote.
Fix 8: Replace Remote
The problem could lie within the remote itself. Therefore, replacing the Roku remote is your ultimate option. However, before purchasing, ensure the remote is compatible with your Roku device.
Frequently Asked Questions
To adjust the volume on Roku, simply press the Home button on your Roku remote and select Settings. Then, choose Audio and select Volume modes to adjust the volume. If you don’t have a Roku remote, you can adjust the volume from the Roku mobile app.
Yes, you can control volume with the Roku remote. It’s very easy to set up after connecting your Roku streaming device to the HDMI ARC input of your TV.
In order to find the audio leveling on Roku, press * while playing a video, scroll down to the Volume mode, and select Leveling.
That’s all. Hopefully, the methods mentioned above can help to solve your Roku volume not working problem.