Did you receive Yk when you said something unbelievable? Or did you ever get a YK message when the person wanted to confirm something?
You are wondering about its meaning and how to respond to it?
If you’re in this situation, you’re in the right place. This topic on what does YK mean on Snapchat will explain all the situations when it is used with examples.
So, if you want to become a maven in YK’s use, read further –
What does YK mean on Snapchat?
YK on Snapchat generally refers to “you know” and “you’re kidding.”
People use yk to mean “you know” when they want to check if the next person is on the same page or when they assume the other person already knows something.
The “You’re kidding” meaning of yk is used when people find something surprising, unbelievable, or shocking. It is basically used to convey a sense of disbelief, or you can say astonishment.
Examples of YK
Here are some examples of yk in each situation when it is used –
- Ryan: I’ll be at the mall at 4 pm. Yk? Can you confirm if you can reach on time?
- Rose: Yeah, Ik. See you there, buddy..!
- Ryan: The password of my Facebook account is “ashreeto.” Yk right?
- Rose: Of course, I know. How can I forget your account’s password; it’s next to impossible.
- Ryan: We need to submit the financial report by Friday, Yk?
- Rose: I’m aware. I’ll finish my part today.
- Ryan: Just to confirm, we agreed to split the bill evenly, yk?
- Rose: Absolutely, I’ll pay for myself. Chill..!
In all these examples, the first Ryan is seeking clarifications.
- “Yk, we usually grab pizza after our soccer game.”
In this example, the user is assuming that the person knows about the post-game pizza thing.
- Yk, the school bus stops in front of our house. It feels like heaven. We don’t need to walk to catch the bus in this scorching heat.
In this example, the user assumes that the person knows the location of the bus stop.
- Yk, Ash is always the last to arrive at our weekly meetings, and the boss doesn’t even say a single thing to him. He is so lucky.
In this one, the user assumes that the person knows that Ash is the latecomer.
To express surprise, astonishment, or disbelief
- Ryan: Guess what? I just won 1 Million Dollars.
- Rose: YK?
Here, Rose responds with yk to express surprise.
- Ryan: I met Justin Beiber today. Can you believe it?
- Rose: Yk? How’s that even possible?
In this example, Rose uses yk to express disbelief.
- Ryan: I’m moving to Paris for a year to study graphology.
- Rose: Yk? Your parents agreed? I’m really happy for you.
Here, Rose is expressing astonishment over Ryan moving to Paris.
Frequently asked questions –
There is no best way to reply to the short-term yk. Just understand what the user wants to say and reply however you want.
You can use yk in many situations, like when you want to express surprise or disbelief, for clarification, etc.
Yes, yk also refers to the famous American singer Yk Osiris. But people usually use it to convey other things.
Try to inspect the tone and topic of the conversation to understand the intent. And if you still don’t get the answer, it would be best to ask the user.
Yk meaning on Snapchat doesn’t change when a girl uses it. It refers to the same thing – you’re kidding, and you know.
YK on Snapchat generally refers to you know and you’re kidding phrases. Both of these are primarily used with a question mark in different situations, which we discussed above.
I hope you’ve understood all of them. Right? But if you have any queries, please let me know in the comments.