It’s pretty easy for everyone to turn on or off a phone. However, if the power button stops working or the device’s screen is damaged, you might search for a tutorial like this. Here, we’ll tell you all the quick ways to turn off an Android phone without the power button.
Your phone’s power button might damage or become unresponsive because of a software glitch, overuse, accidental fall, rough or faulty manufacturing. Especially if you’re using the same phone or tablet for a long, there’s a chance of malfunctioning. Your only solution to this hardware issue is to visit a service center and fix it.
Or else, you can try one of the methods discussed below to turn off your phone without the power button. Whether it’s a OnePlus, Samsung, Oppo, Vivo, Xiaomi, Nokia or any Android model, these methods will work on all devices efficiently.
Turn Off Phone without Power Button on Android
There’re multiple ways to turn off an Android if the power button no longer works. Some of them can seem challenging but not too hard to apply.
Turn Off Phone from Android Settings
Your phone’s Settings has multiple functions, including turning off the phone. Though Android phones have different settings based on the models, still the following is the basic setting.
- Go to Settings.
- Search for the Power Off and tap it. This option may have different names. So, if you can’t find it, try Switch Off, Turn Off, Shut Down etc.
- You can now see all your main settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom and select the Power Off option.
This method will turn off your phone without using the power button.
Schedule Power Off Time to Turn Off Phone
There is another way to turn off your android phone without using the power button is you have to schedule the power-off time through the device settings.
1. Open Settings on your Android.
2. Tap the Search box or icon on the Settings menu page and type schedule.
3. It’ll display a list of items that can be scheduled. Choose Schedule power on/off.
4. In the next screen, you can set a time when you want to power on or off your phone automatically without using the power key.
Use ADB Command
We won’t say it’s an easier way to turn off Android phones when the power button is broken or the screen is cracked. But, you can still be able to power off and restart your Android into Safe mode using ADB commands without the power button.
In order to run ADB commands, you need a computer or laptop. Another thing is USB debugging must be enabled on Android. Now, follow the steps for how to switch off an Android phone without the power button.
- Download the latest Andorid SDK Platform tools for Windows or set up ADB and Fastboot on Mac.
- Enable USB debugging on your Android if it’s not enabled yet. You might not be able to do it if the phone’s touch screen has stopped working.
- Open Windows Command Prompt or Mac Terminal.
- Connect your device with the computer/laptop with USB.
- Type these commands to make sure your computer/laptop and phone are connected properly.
adb devices (on Windows)
./adb devices (on Mac)
6. Now, enter the following ADB command to turn off your Android phone.
adb shell reboot -p
Here “p” means “power off”.
7. Your Android phone will power off without using the power key.
ADB Command to Switch Off Phone from Power Menu
ADB commands are truly helpful in uncertain situations. It’s possible to prompt the long-press power menu on an Android device by executing ADB shell commands.
- Simply launch the Command window, connect the phone with your computer and execute the command: adb shell input keyevent 5 sleep 5
- Afterward, your Android menu will appear and you can tap the Power Off option from there.
Turn Off Phone using Third-Party Apps
Using a third-party app for turning off the phone is a pretty common and easier method that many users follow.
- Go to Play Store and install any Power button app. For example, Power Menu, Phone Lock+, Menu Button or Shutdown, select one to use.
- Next, open the app and it’ll ask to allow accessibility.
- Tap Ok and grant the Accessibility Permission.
- Now go back to the app and open it.
- This will have an option called Power Off, Reboot etc. Select Power Off.
Your phone will be turned off without using the power button. But remember, if your phone’s battery is low, you may need precautions; otherwise, the phone will switch off automatically. Simply charge your phone to avoid it.
Turn Off Android with Accessibility Menu
All Android phones come with the Accessibility feature to help visually-challenged people control their devices. The Accessibility menu is the large onscreen menu with one-tap access to all features. Like you can adjust the volume or brightness, lock the device, add quick shortcuts to open Power Menu, Google Assistant, take screenshots etc.
Here’s how you can use the Accessibility menu to perform the task:
1. Go to your Android Settings and select Accessibility.
2. On Oppo, Xiaomi, Vivo, Realme, OnePLus etc., you just need to search for Accessibility and turn on the Accessibility Menu shortcut. On Samsung Galaxy devices, toggle on the Assistant menu from Interaction and dexterity.
3. Once you do it, a floating icon for the Assistant menu will show up on the screen.
4. Tap the icon and select Power off. You can now turn off the Samsung Galaxy phone without the power button.
Enable Assistive Touch for Android
On some Android devices, Assistive touch is available by default. If your phone doesn’t have it, you can simply get it from the Play Store and use it.
- Download the Assistive Touch app from the Play Store.
- Open the app and allow the necessary permissions.
- Go back to the app, choose the Custom Menu and position the Power option in one of the panels.
- Now tap the Assistive icon.
- It’ll display options. Select the Power icon to access different types of power options.
- Select Power Off to shut down the phone without a power button.
Turn Off Phone via Quick Settings
Older Samsung devices don’t have this option, but if you own a new Samsun Galaxy mobile or tab launched in 2019 or later, you must have noticed the Power Menu icon is in the Quick Settings screen.
Phones like Galaxy Note 10, Note 20, Galaxy A51, A70, Galaxy S10, S20 etc., have this shortcut on Quick Settings.
Simply tap the option to turn off your Samsung Galaxy without the Power button.
So, these are the quick tips and tricks you can use to turn off your phone when the Power button is not working. All the methods mentioned above will work on Android devices. Give them a try and share your experience with us using the comment box below.