Facebook Messenger is an instant messaging app to stay connected with family and friends. Its wave feature is a great way to greet someone new before start chatting.
Basically, the yellow waving hand is a gesture of saying hello or hi on Messenger, similar to poking someone on Facebook earlier. However, the wave button is no longer available in Facebook’s latest version.
But if you’re still using an older version, here’s how you can wave on Messenger using mobile app and desktop.
How to Wave on Facebook Messenger (Mobile App)?
To wave on Facebook Messenger, follow the steps using the Messenger app on mobile or tablet:
1. Open the Facebook Messenger app on your Android or iPhone.
2. Tap the People icon from the bottom right corner.
3. Tap the Active button at the top to open the list of currently active friends.
4. Tap the Wave icon (showing as a grey hand) next to the person’s name you want to wave at.
And you’ve successfully sent a wave to a friend on the Messenger app.
How to Send Wave using Facebook App?
- Open the Facebook app on the mobile and log in to the account.
- Tap the three horizontal lines from the upper right corner.
- Select Messenger from the list. If it’s not there, then go to See More to locate Messenger.
- Tap People and select the Active bar.
- Tap on the Wave button next to your online friend to send greetings. A yellow hand wave animation will now appear in the chat.
How to Wave on Facebook using a Desktop?
If you want to wave on Facebook virtually using a desktop, the process is even easier than the Messenger mobile app. Let’s take a look:
1. Visit facebook.com from the desktop and log in to your account.
2. Go to the Home page.
3. A list of contacts will automatically appear on the right side
4. There will be no wave sign first. But once you hover the cursor on a friend’s name, a wave hand icon will appear.
5. Click on it and a yellow wave animation will greet that person.
Does Facebook send an Automatic Wave from a New Friend?
Yes, Facebook sends an automatic wave from a new friend. Whenever you add someone to the Facebook friend list or import a new contact into Messenger, a new conversation will start between you two.
Even if no one has sent anything yet, you will see a message from the app itself saying that the new friend is waving at you.
If you wish to wave back, check out the simple process below.
How to Wave Back on Facebook Messenger using Mobile?
- Open the chat of the friend from whom you received a wave.
- You can see a yellow hand appears in the chatbox saying, “___ (your friend) is waving at you”.
- Select the Tap to wave back option. Or, simply tap the second yellow hand icon.
- Finally, you can see a message saying, “You and ____ (your friend) waved at each other”.
However, this works only for the new conversation. To wave in an ongoing chat on Messenger, follow the methods mentioned above.
Is It Possible To Undo A Wave on Facebook Messenger?
Yes, it’s possible to undo a wave on Facebook Messenger. You can undo it within 10 minutes of sending it.
So, to undo a wave on Facebook Messenger, follow the steps:
- Open the chat in question with the accidental wave.
- Press and hold the sent wave icon for e few seconds.
- Select Remove, followed by Remove for everyone.
The Facebook wave will be disappeared from both your and that friend’s chat window.
So, these are the quickest ways to wave someone on Facebook Messenger if only you’re using the older version. Try this cool feature to begin a conversation with your friends.