YouTube is an American online free video-sharing platform. People love spending time watching YouTube content like entertainment, dramas, series, news, etc. YouTube currently has 2 billion unique global users (each month).
People do not face any issues, generally while watching YouTube videos. However, as an active YouTube user, you might have stumbled upon some error messages like “This content is not available in your country”, “the video is private” or “the uploader has not made this video available in your country”.
If you are from certain countries like China, Vietnam, North Korea, or some other Middle Eastern countries, you cannot access YouTube’s video streaming service. This is because these countries have blocked the platform.
Also, geo-restriction is another reason for not able to watch YouTube videos. People from selected geographical areas can only view those geo-blocked content. Generally, this problem occurs if you are changing your location or traveling abroad for vacations and other purposes.
Do not get worried if you are not able to access some videos on YouTube. This article will guide you in several ways if you are looking for answers on how to watch blocked YouTube videos.
Why are some YouTube videos blocked in other countries?
There can be several reasons why YouTube videos might be blocked in some countries.
License Issue: Certain major companies don’t make their content available to some countries due to license problems. Either they don’t have the right to share the entertainment materials in some regions, or they have limited access for some countries.
For example, from March 2009, YouTube music videos were blocked in German. This is because GEMA (Germany’s licensing body) failed to meet the agreed terms with YouTube. However, from October 2016, YouTube and GEMA made new agreements and now music videos are easily accessible in Germany.
Violating Local Law: Violating local laws and spreading hate speech cause blocking of YouTube videos.
For example, in Malaysia, some YouTube clips are blocked because those were mocking Prophet Muhammad.
National Security Legislation: In 2014, Turkey blocked YouTube for almost a week because a video got leaked, which has some voices recorded in the PM’s office. This raised concerns and created a “National Security Issue” and led to YouTube blocking. If national security is at stake, videos might get blocked.
- Inappropriate for youth:
- Age limit restriction.
- To prevent criticism for rulers, politicians, or religion-related.
Five Solutions For How to Watch Blocked YouTube Videos
Let us introduce some of the effective ways to watch blocked YouTube videos from anywhere. After a lot of research, these methods are accepted as full proof-solutions.
Follow these tried and tested processes to view restricted videos straightaway.
1. Bypass YouTube Region Lock
Geographic restriction is the reason for some videos to get banned in your country. However, to view such blocked YouTube videos, try these two simple ways to bypass YouTube’s regional filter easily.
Use VPN: You can bypass the region block by using a VPN (Virtual Private Network), which means browsing from another location.
VPN gives you online privacy by encrypting your internet traffic and route. Eventually, it hides your IP address from the Internet Service Provider.
Before you connect through a VPN to watch blocked YouTube videos, check out the pros and cons:
- It’s simple to use and provides you lots of streaming.
- Your viewing history will be private.
- It has a lot of IPs to choose from.
- Use strong encryption.
- If you connect to a VPN, it can see all your internet activity. Hence, you must use a trustworthy no-log VPNs
Use Proxy Server
A proxy server is a server application that acts as a portal between your computer and the internet. It routes your request through their servers to bypass your current region.
Usually, YouTube tracks its visitors through their IP addresses. So, by masking the real IP address and changing it with a different country’s IP, you can lift geo-blocking.
Therefore, to hide your current location, you can use Proxy servers and can browse YouTube videos without exposing your IP address.
2. Edit YouTube Video URL
However, you can even change the URL of a blocked YouTube content.
- Open the blocked video on YouTube and check the address bar.
- The URL will look like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9AYPxH4NA
- Remove the word “watch” from the link.
- Replace “v=” with “v/”.
3. Use HookTube- An Alternative
HookTube is a YouTube alternative that can be used to omit regional or age- restrictions on videos. Its simplified interface makes HookTube videos load faster and stream without any distractions.
How to watch blocked YouTube videos on HookTube?
- Open HookTube by visiting the official website.
- Search with the blocked YouTube videos’ title in the search bar.
- Press enter, find the video and watch it.
There is even another easier way too.
- Open the blocked video on YouTube.
- In the YouTube URL from the address bar, replace “you” with “hook”. This means if the URL of the video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9AYPxH4NA, replace it with https://www.hooktube.com/watch?v=Z9AYPxH4NA
- Thus, by redirecting YouTube URL to HookTube, you can now access those geo-blocked videos.
4. Using Tor Browser
Tor is an open-source free browser that enables the user to stay online anonymously. It’s a perfect powerful privacy tool to mask your IP. The Tor network is a collection of some special servers across the world.
It receives and then encrypts your internet traffic three times and routes it to three different servers to make your online presence untraced.
However, before using Tor, permission from the local authority is required to avoid legal consequences while watching a blocked video.
Let’s get into details on how to watch YouTube videos using the Tor browser.
- First, download and install the Tor browser on your device.
- Try to set the Tor server according to its last routing location. Thus only you can bypass the YouTube geo-restriction.
- Get access to videos.
5. Download YouTube Videos
A less hectic way is to download the blocked videos and watch them offline.
You need to subscribe to YouTube and be a premium member to download videos and watch them offline.
In case you are out of budget then also you can download YouTube videos for free.
- Some software like Minitool uTube downloader is available for downloading YouTube videos.
- Making some changes in the video URL can also get the job done for you. Suppose the URL is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9AYPxH4NA. You need to add “ss” at the beginning like https://www.ssyoutube.com/watch?v=Z9AYPxH4NA. Hitting enter will redirect you to the official site of “Saveform.net”. From here you can download the YouTube video.
What If You Still Can’t Access The Blocked YouTube Videos?
Have you tried all the above methods but still not able to watch a certain video? You can follow the below-mentioned tips to sort out the issues.
- Check for any available updates for your browser and YouTube.
- Sometimes unnecessary information like cache/cookies can slow down the app. So, by clearing caches and history on YouTube, you may resolve the issue.
- In case you’re using a VPN, contact their customer support. They can tell you how to watch blocked YouTube videos by finding the correct server to connect.
- However, some videos are completely removed from the YouTube platform because of hindering the local laws or YouTube terms of services. That’s why those videos are not accessible to anyone.
Watching a blocked video is not a criminal activity; spreading hate speech or violating laws is. If you are curious to watch certain content then you can surely use the methods mentioned in the article. However, be careful while using any proxy server or VPN. If you are not using a reliable proxy server or VPN, then your information might get leaked. Enjoy the videos without violating any laws or regulations.