Does Steam make your computer slow? Then maybe it’s time to uninstall or stop Steam from opening automatically at startup.
But before proceeding, let’s know what Steam is. It’s a computer-based popular video game platform. The best feature is it allows users to play games using any computer if they have a Steam account. Moreover, the user interface and other community features make it favorable among game lovers.
However, Steam’s auto-startup can be frustrating if you don’t mean to play anymore or not a very consistent gamer. It automatically starts running whenever you turn on the PC. Eventually, it slows down your machine and startup times. Also, Steam client seems to be a distraction when you open the PC for urgent work.
So, do you wish to get rid of this issue? You can uninstall the software if it bothers you that much. Otherwise, you can simply stop it from re-opening during startup. In this way, you can use Steam only when you open it manually.
Let’s take a quick look at how to stop Steam from launching at startup.
How to Stop Steam from Launching at Startup?
There are a few methods to stop Steam from auto-opening on the startup. But it depends on which device you’re using to play on Steam, like Windows 10 or MAC. However, stopping Steam directly from its interface is the easiest solution.
Here are all three possible methods for you to follow.
1. Stopping Steam from launching on startup through Steam’s interface
Let’s know the steps.
- Open Steam on the device.
- Right-click on the Steam icon from the Taskbar or Hidden icons section.
- If you’re on Windows, select Settings or if you’re on MAC, select Preferences.
- Select Interface from the left sidebar.
- Uncheck the box saying Run Steam when my computer starts.
Now you’ve successfully disabled Steam’s auto-startup process.
2. Stopping Steam from launching on startup on Windows PC
In case you can’t solve the issue from its Interface, don’t worry. Here is another method for you.
More or less, most users prefer Windows operating system on their PC. If you’re also one of them, here’s a quick guide for how to stop Steam from launching at startup on Windows in two ways. Luckily, both methods are workable on Windows 8 and Windows 10.
- Stop Steam’s auto-startup using Windows task manager: Here are the simple and quick steps to follow
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- From the appeared menu, click Open Task Manager. Else, search for Task Manager in the Windows menu or right-click on the Windows logo and click Task Manager from the menu.
- Click Startup from the top of the Task Manager. You’ll find the applications installed on the computer.
- Search and right-click Steam Client Bootstrapper.
- Select Disable.
Check if it solves the problem.
- Stop Steam’s auto-startup direct from Windows: Another alternative way to stop Steam from launching at startup is direct from Windows. Here’s how to do it.
- Either press the Windows key on your keyboard or click the logo from the screen’s bottom-left corner.
- Search for Startup Apps in the search menu.
- Click Startup from the search result.
- From the appeared application list, find Steam Client Bootstrapper. Toggle the switch to off if it’s on.
Now you won’t be distracted by its auto-startup anymore.
3. Stopping Steam from launching on startup on MAC
Are you a MAC user for Steam? Then similar to Windows, Steam also automatically launches when you open the PC. It’s truly annoying, especially when you want to use it for work.
However, there is a simple process for how to stop Steam from launching at startup on MAC. Let’s have a look.
- From the top-left of the screen, click the Apple logo.
- Select System Preferences.
- Select Users and Groups.
- After that, click the lock from the bottom-left menu.
- Enter your password to change the settings and select Login Items from the top of the menu.
- Find and click on Steam to highlight it.
- Finally, click the “-” symbol from the bottom to remove Steam from the startup.
If you find it difficult to resolve the issue, here is another process on MAC.
- You can see the Steam icon in the dock at the screen’s bottom. Right-click on it.
- Hover your mouse on Options from the menu.
- Uncheck the mark next to Open at Login.
Hopefully, this will stop Steam from launching at startup again.
In A Nutshell
Steam is practically programmed to start when you turn on the PC. But this may not be well-suited for those users who don’t play games frequently. Additionally, it leads to slow down system performance. Hence, Steam doesn’t need to automatically open if you don’t use it daily.
No matter what operating system you’re on, it’s easy to stop Steam from auto-launching. By applying the methods mentioned above, Steam will only open whenever you want to open it. Eventually, your computer will work smoothly.