While downloading something on Chrome, are you getting a message that says, “this file is dangerous, so Chrome has blocked it”? Well, you are not the only one that faces such a problem after the latest updates of Google Chrome.
Don’t worry as this article has the solution for you to get rid of such problems.
It is needless to say that Google Chrome is popular because of its user-friendly interface and top-notch security. One of the best things about Chrome is, it checks any files for any kind of threats before downloading.
However, as a browser, Chrome often makes mistakes by blocking a download from a trusted website. So, if that’s the case happening to you and you are looking for ideas on how to stop Google Chrome from blocking downloads, then keep reading to find out the fixes.
Why is Google Chrome Blocking Downloads?
Possible reasons for which Google Chrome is blocking your downloads are:
1. The file which you are trying to download is mistrustful.
2. The file may contain viruses that might harm your PC.
3. If the file has been downloaded, but it is not opening, then chances are that it is trying to make changes in your computer without your permission.
4. Google Chrome has failed to recognize the file that you are trying to download; as a result, it is unable to mark it safe.
5. The website from which you are trying to download the file has a bad record like it has provided some unsafe and false files to the users.
How to Stop Chrome from Blocking Downloads
In order to stop Chrome from blocking downloads, follow these steps:
1. Open Chrome on your computer.
2. Click the three dots at the top right corner and select Settings.
3. Choose Privacy and Security from the left pane and click Security.
5. Under Safe Browsing, select No protection (not recommended) to turn the feature off.
6. On the popup, click Turn off to confirm.
Now you’ll be able to download the file that Chrome previously blocked. Not to mention, you need to turn on the feature after downloading as it protects the device from harmful websites or malware.
How to Disable or Turn Off Automatic Downloads of Multiple Files?
Some websites try to download multiple files on your PC. By default, Chrome stops this action but in case you want to disable it, here’s how to do it:
1. Open Chrome.
2. Click on the three dots and choose Settings.
3. Select Privacy and security from the left pane and click Site Settings.
4. Expand the Additional permissions tab and select Automatic downloads.
5. Now, mark the box beside Don’t allow sites to automatically download multiple files.
This will turn off automatic downloading.
After following all these steps, your browser will allow automatic downloads but still, it will ask for your permission before starting any download.
Other Ways To Stop Chrome From Blocking Downloads
These are some other methods that will help to stop downloads:
- Open Chrome and click on the three dots.
- Go to More tools and select Clear browsing data.
- Now, select a time range. The time range will instruct Chrome when to clear the cache.
- Select the items you can get rid of and click on the Clear data button.
Disable Firewall or Antivirus
Sometimes Firewalls and Antivirus software create problems in the downloading patterns of your computer. Try to disable your antivirus or firewall and try to download the file again.
Update Chrome or Reinstall it
Sometimes outdated versions of Google Chrome stop many downloads. Try to update your browser to the latest version and try again. If it still doesn’t work, uninstall Chrome and install it again.
How to Unblock a Blocked Download in Chrome?
If you cannot open or unpack a downloaded file for security reasons, you need to overrule the security feature to unblock it. Learn how to do it.
1. Open the Downloads folder on your PC.
2. Look for the file you want to open and right-click on it.
3. Go to Properties.
4. Go to the General tab and click on Unblock.
5. Click on the box beside Unblock. Now, click on Apply and then on Ok to save your settings.
Sometimes, downloading multiple times stops them from opening. It will take a very long time to unblock all the files one by one. You can try this method instead:
1. Right-click on the Start button and open Windows PowerShell.
2. Now, enter this line- “get-child item “PATH” | unblock-file.” After that, erase the “PATH” part and paste the name of your folder where the files are located.
3. Hit the Enter button to access those files.
How to Pause or Cancel a Download on Android
- Open the Chrome App on your Android device (phone or tablet).
- Tap on the three vertical dots at the extreme top-right corner.
- Next, tap on Downloads.
- While a file is downloading, tap the (||) symbol to pause or (X) to cancel the download.
Frequently Asked Questionss
How to Unblock Websites on Chrome?
You can unblock websites on Chrome by the following methods:
- Avoid chrome warnings and go on.
- Disable the firewall system of Windows.
- Use a secured VPN.
How do I change download settings in Chrome?
You can change the download settings in chrome by following the steps:
- First, launch Chrome on your computer.
- Click on the three vertical dots at the top-right of the screen.
- Click Settings from the menu.
- Next, click on Advanced from the left side panel and then click Downloads.
Now you can change the setting as per your choice.
How do I stop Chrome from blocking dangerous downloads?
You can turn off or disable the safe browsing feature temporarily to stop Chrome from blocking dangerous downloads. You can find this feature on the settings page. Go to the settings option and check the privacy and security section to turn off the safe browsing feature.