Dealing with social media trolling and bullying can be overwhelming sometimes. Luckily, Instagram has brought a feature, “Restrict”, which lets you control embarrassing comments on your posts. Once you restrict an individual on Instagram, their new comments become invisible to your other followers.
What does Restrict mean on Instagram?
The Restrict option on Instagram means you’re temporarily limiting someone’s access to your profile and their unwanted comments on your posts. It means they can’t interact or communicate with you in the same way as other users.
For example, when you restrict someone they won’t be able to view your online status. Their comments will no longer be visible on your post until you approve them. You can even ignore or delete their comment from your post. It also blocks all comment notifications from that specific person.
You can restrict multiple accounts on your Instagram posts to manage comments.
What happens when you restrict someone on Instagram
When you restrict someone on Instagram, here’s what happens:
- Instagram doesn’t send them a notification that you’ve restricted them.
- Their future comments become invisible to other followers on your profile. Only you and the user can view the comments that you need to manually approve to appear.
- Their chat, including new messages, will be on your Message Requests.
- If you both are in the same group chat, you’ll receive a warning that you’re seeing someone’s message you’ve restricted.
- You will not get notifications for future comments from that user.
- They can’t see you online on Instagram.
- They will not know if you have read their messages.
- They can still view your posts and stories.
Now, hopefully, it’s clear to you what happens when you restrict someone on Instagram. So, move to the next section to know the methods to restrict someone.
How to restrict someone on Instagram?
If you want to restrict someone on Instagram, visit their profile and tap Restrict or do it through your account settings.
Restrict a user from their profile
- Open your Instagram on Android/iOS and visit the profile you want to restrict.
- Tap the three dots at the top right corner.
- Select Restrict.
Restrict a user via Settings
1. Open Instagram and tap on your profile picture below.
2. Tap the three horizontal lines from the upper right corner.
3. Select Settings > Privacy.
4. Under Connections, choose Restricted Accounts.
5. Search for the account you want to restrict on Instagram and tap the Restrict button beside their username.
Restrict a user through comments
1. Open your Instagram post and tap View all comments.
2. Android users tap and hold the comment and iPhone users swipe left over the comment.
3. Tap (iPhone) or (Android) then, tap Restrict.
Restrict a user through Direct message
1. Open Instagram and tap on the Direct Message ( or ) icon.
2. Tap and open the chat you want to restrict.
3. Tap the username above and select Restrict.
Frequently Asked Questions
When you restrict someone on Instagram What can they see?
When you restrict someone on Instagram they can see your posts and stories. Only their comments will no longer be visible on your post until you approve them and you won’t get any notifications from that specific person.
Also, the restricted person won’t be able to see your online status.
Does someone know if you restrict them on Instagram?
Instagram doesn’t notify anyone about restrictions. But if you think someone has restricted you then comment on his/her post and check from another account whether your comment is visible or not.
If you can’t see your comments on that post that means the person has restricted you on Instagram.
Does restricting someone on Instagram hide your posts, stories & highlights?
The answer is No. Restricting someone doesn’t hide any of your Instagram posts from that specific person. They can still see your published posts, stories and highlights on Instagram.
How long do Instagram restrictions last?
Restrictions on Instagram last for a maximum of 24 to 48 hours.
Thus, restricting unwanted people on Instagram keeps you away from social harassment and offending comments.