Are you planning to order a surprise gift from Amazon for your family member? You are probably relaxing, thinking that all it’s left to receive the delivery, wrap it up and say “surprise”. But wait, your digital shopping footprint can ruin your plan.
If you’re sharing a single Amazon account with family or friends, then in just one click, they’ll know about the order. Even sometimes, the items can be personal and you end up embarrassing yourself in front of others. Therefore, hiding orders on Amazon might seem really necessary.
However, the artificial intelligence system of Amazon keeps a record of all your search and purchase history. From reviewing your past orders to track new orders, checking receipts, wish list, anyone can know or guess your Amazon activity. Moreover, ordering something at your home address will let everyone staying at your place know about it.
But don’t worry. It’s easy to achieve privacy if you know how to hide orders on Amazon. After all, privacy is the first concern while enjoying online shopping. That’s why Amazon has added security features to enhance your shopping experience. Clearing browsing history or recommendations and archiving orders can keep your purchase secret.
But keep in mind, whether it’s an Amazon Prime account or not, you can’t delete your entire order history. So what to do more to hide orders from other Amazon account holders? Here are some essential tips for you.
Is it Possible to Hide Orders on Amazon from Family?
Amazon gives the facility to their users to hide any items that they are not interested in referencing with others at the time of online purchase. So you no longer have to worry if there are any secret or reserved items that you don’t want to share with your joint account holders. There are options to hide your orders and delete your browsing history. In case you don’t want to delete the browsing history permanently, you can still archive some specific items. However, Amazon has not yet come up with an option to delete the order history forever.
Eight Ways to Learn How to Hide Orders on Amazon
Learning how to hide your Amazon order is really a necessity for those individuals who share a single Amazon account with their family members or friends.
This article will guide you with simple ways to hide your online shopping activities (order, browse) and receive the item using Amazon smart facilities.
1. Amazon Household Account:
This facility is available for Amazon prime members only. Setting up an Amazon household account is the best way for the users to hide orders or avoid spoiling surprise gifts. An Amazon household account allows you to share all prime benefits with the whole family.
With the Amazon household account, you and other members can have separate Amazon accounts with separate purchase history, wish list and recommendations. Although kids and teens have limited Amazon household account usage, both adults can share all the Amazon Prime Perks and a digital content library.
Amazon Household account holds up to ten members following the conditions:
- Two adults of age 18 or above, each having their own account.
- Maximum four profiles of teenagers age between 13 to 17. Teens can place orders or stream content on Amazon with their own login details while keeping their guardians informed.
- Four kids’ profiles (age 12 or under). Kids are not eligible to place orders.
However, teen and child profiles use the Amazon Freetime service. It enables kids for safe browsing controlled by Parents Dashboard from Household account setting. Amazon offers a one-month free trial of Amazon Freetime Unlimited; you can try the same if you are not already using it.
So, how to create an Amazon Household Account?
- Log in to your Amazon account.
- Go to Amazon Household.
- To create an Amazon Household account with another adult, select Add Adult. Send an email invitation or sign up together to verify the account.
- To create an Amazon Household account with a teen, select Add a Teen. Send an email to invite.
- To create an Amazon Household account with a child, select Add a Child. Enter your child’s information and select Save.
Are you wondering what about the other users who don’t have a Prime membership? Well, in that case, you can still hide your order without being a prime member.
2. Archive Your Orders:
Archiving an Amazon order would help you in hiding the ordered item from your default order view list.
To archive order using a browser,
- Visit the Amazon website.
- Log in using your email id and password.
- Go to Accounts & Lists.
- Select Your Orders.
- Select the specific order to archive.
- Select Archive Order.
- Confirm by clicking the Archive Order button.
To archive order in the Amazon app,
- Open app using the login credentials.
- Go to Your Orders.
- Select the specific item and select Archive Order.
This way, you can hide any order you are not interested in future referencing or stop the order to show in the recent order list. The action would not permanently delete your order history; you can view or unarchive the same to rebuy or get any details about the product.
Here’s how you can unarchive your Amazon orders.
- Go to Your Account.
- Select View Archived Orders.
- Select Unarchived to restore any specific order.
3. Clear Your Browsing History:
The browsing history has all the items that you have searched for. If you use a shared Amazon account, then there are chances that other members can see your browsing history.
Fear not, as you can remove or clear the browsing history easily with the following steps:
- Open your Amazon account.
- Under the search bar, go to Browsing History. Click the orange dot under the particular item and it will turn into a black X (cross mark) while hovering. Click it.
- Or select Remove from view under the item.
To remove all items,
- Go to Manage History.
- Select Remove all items from view.
Furthermore, you can even turn off the browsing history of the account.
- Go to Manage History from your Amazon account.
- Select Turn off browsing history and turn it off by swiping the bar.
Following the same steps as above, toggle the Turn history on/off switch off. It will remove your recently viewed items from view.
4. Clear Items from Recommendation:
Amazon’s Recommended list can spoil your plan. It’s an auto-populated list and it keeps showing similar items according to your purchase and search history.
Therefore, whoever logs into the account, can see the recommendation and guess your activity. It’s better to clear the list beforehand to avoid such things.
5. Ship to Another Address:
Although you manage to clear your browsing and order history, what about the delivery? It could be a big spoiler when your valentine’s day gift is at your front door.
If you want to keep delivery hidden, use another shipping address rather than a home or office delivery.
It’s a quick process to add a new address for your Amazon delivery.
- Go to Your Account.
- Select Your Addresses.
- Go to Add a new address. Provide your new address details and phone no. for the shipping.
- Or, select Add a new pickup point to get the delivery. In this way, you can place an order and pick it up from a different location.
However, you can update, edit or remove your address details later.
6. Amazon Locker:
Are you looking for a secure shipping destination? Don’t worry. Amazon Locker is there for you. There are more than 900 delivery sites in the US.
So, what is Amazon Locker? It’s a self-service, secure kiosk to pick up your amazon delivery at your convenient time and place.
To use Amazon Lockers for shipping,
- Find the nearest Locker location.
- Add it to your Amazon shipping address.
- During checkout, select Amazon Locker as your shipping destination.
- When your package is delivered, you’ll receive an email with a six-digit code.
- Visit the Locker and enter that code to the Locker’s touchscreen and take out your package.
- Most importantly, don’t forget to take precautions due to the COVID-19 situation. Use the barcode only to pick your order to avoid contact delivery.
However, there is no additional fee for Amazon Locker except the standard shipping rates. For Amazon Prime members, Locker benefits them with free two-day shipping.
But make sure you pick the package in three calendar days. Otherwise, the item would get returned and you might get a refund. Further, after receiving it, in case you want to return it. You may find an Amazon Locker Dropoff option during the return procedure.
Moreover, to be eligible for using Amazon Hub Lockers, you must meet the following.
- The shipping weight is less than 10lbs.
- The product size should be smaller than 16x12x14 inches.
- The items must be sold or fulfilled by Amazon.com only.
- The value is less than $5,000.
- There should be no hazardous material.
7. Amazon Key- Safe & Seamless Delivery:
Still not convinced about hiding your orders on Amazon? Then you can try the Amazon Key service. Amazon has introduced an Amazon key app that lets you open or close a door using your smartphone. In this way, you can have the convenience to receive a package safely right inside your home or car trunk, back door. Not only does this service protect your delivery against theft or bad weather but it also ensures social distancing.
Amazon Key costs around $250 or more, depending on the lock. It comes with a smart lock and smart camera.
To use Amazon Key,
- Install the lock.
- Then Amazon verifies the package for the address while delivering.
- The delivery guy near the door opens the cloud cam to unlock it.
- Once the package is delivered, the door gets relocked.
- You will receive a notification for it. Moreover, you can see the entire delivery through a video camera to ensure safety.
Amazon Key is available for all Amazon users in the US. However, in-home or in-car delivery of Prime orders is offered to the Prime members in the selected zip codes.
8. Disable Alexa’s delivery Updates
All your efforts to hide your Amazon orders can go in vain if you have the Amazon Echo device (Alexa) in your home. Alexa reminds and keeps people updated about the delivery. So, anyone present in your home can get a delivery notification from Alexa.
To prevent such awkward situations, there’s an option to disable the feature. Read on to know how you can do it.
- From your phone, open the Alexa application.
- There you can find the “Settings” option. Tap on it.
- Select “Notification” from the “Settings” menu.
- Tap on “Amazon Shopping”.
- There will be a section available: “ Let Alexa say or show titles for the items you have ordered”.
- In that section, you can find several boxes checked or unchecked. Uncheck the box called: “For items in delivery update.”
- You’re done.
Now you have pretty much the idea to hide your orders on Amazon. Though few ideas might seem a little hectic, maintaining your privacy is worth the effort.
Overall, hiding your order history is necessary if someone else is using the same Amazon account. There are some facts that you need to keep in mind while receiving the products. Like, for Amazon Key, make sure you don’t have dogs in the house or have taken necessary measurements before delivery attempts. Don’t forget your verification code while using Amazon Locker to get the package. Enjoy online shopping and keep surprising your loved ones.