Instagram is a popular social networking app to share photos and videos or create stories and reels. Apart from these, Instagram also allows to send private messages and reply to someone’s Story through the Direct Message (DM) feature.
However, if your inbox gets full or too many spam messages cluttering the inbox, it’s time to delete them. You can delete Instagram messages either by deleting an entire conversation or selecting to unsend messages you’ve sent previously.
Here is a quick guide for Android and iPhone users.
How to Delete Instagram Messages?
1. Open the Instagram app on your mobile.
2. Tap the Instagram Direct icon in the upper right corner.
3. Under Chats, find the conversation you wish to delete.
4. iPhone users swipe left to get the Delete option.
5. To delete Instagram messages, Android users tap and hold the conversation, tap Delete and then again tap Delete to confirm.
Once you delete the conversation permanently, it will no longer be visible in your inbox. However, it only deletes messages from your side. The other person can still view the conversation in their inbox.
How to Delete Instagram Messages by Unsending Them?
- Open Instagram on your device.
- Tap the Instagram Direct message icon at the top right.
- Open the conversation and go to the message you want to unsend.
- Tap and hold the message and select Unsend.
The message will immediately disappear from your chat. Similarly, the message will be deleted in the other person’s DM also.