Choosing an appropriate username for social media seems like a tedious task. Eventually, you may realize that the name is not as perfect as you wanted. It also could be that the name is not justifying your current brand. No matter what, you don’t need to create a whole new account to acquire a new name.
Here in this article, we will tell you the process of how to change your username on Twitch for all app versions.
How to Change Your User Name on Twitch using a Browser (Firefox, Chrome)
One of the ways to open Twitch is by using a web browser rather than downloading the dedicated app. The browser version has the main benefit of not depending on the device you’re using. As long as you’re connected to the internet, regardless of the device, you open for the process would be similar. To change your username using a browser, here’re the steps to follow:
1. Open the Twitch website on your browser. Also, you can type https://www.twitch.tv/ in your address bar.
2. If you are using a mobile, the browser will default to your mobile website version. You cannot change your username in Twitch’s mobile browser version. So, to switch to desktop mode, select the three dots at the top right corner.
3. Once the menu appears, tap Desktop site, then go back to the home page and follow the next instructions.
4. Select your profile icon at the top-right corner.
5. In the drop-down, tap or click Settings.
6. In the Settings menu, select Profile. It would be the tab options on the above part of the menus.
7. Under the Profile tab, scroll down to Profile Settings and find Username.
8. Tap or click the edit button to the right of your username. It will look like a small pencil icon.
9. In the new pop-up window, type your desired username and tap or click Update.
10. You will be prompted to enter your password. Once you’re done, tap or click Confirm.
11. Your username should be changed and you can exit the window. You’ll be notified about the name change by email.
Note: You must have a verified email address in order to change your username. If you don’t have it, you’ll be prompted to verify the email before proceeding with the name change.
Once you change the name, Twitch will inform you on the update window that the abandoned usernames are held by Twitch for at least 6 months. After that, they return those usernames in the pool of available usernames for the new users and community. It means if you decide to get back your previous username, you’ll be able to do that, as that username will not be displayed as available to others.
How to Change Your Username on Desktop App (Windows, Chromebook PC or Mac)
If you’re using the desktop app, changing the username is exactly the same as the web browser. In order to change your username on Twitch on a desktop app, follow these steps:
1. Open the Twitch desktop app on your computer.
2. Log into the account.
3. Select the profile icon on the top-right corner.
4. From the drop-down menu, click Settings.
5. In the Settings menu, find the Profile tab.
6. In the Profile tab, scroll down to find Profile Settings. Click the pencil icon right to the current username.
7. In the newly opened window, type the new username you want and click Update. Follow the confirmation notification.
Return to the Home window by clicking the Twitch icon at the top-left corner.
Like the web browser version, you’ll require a verified email id to perform the name change. Additionally, if two-factor authentication is enabled, you’ll require to enter the code that’ll be delivered to your number.
How to Change Your Username on Twitch using Mobile
Though you can edit the profile settings on your Twitch mobile app, unfortunately, changing the username option is not available on Android or iPhone. You’ll either need to use a web browser or your desktop app to open the Twitch website. Follow the processes mentioned for the browser version and desktop app above to change your username.
Frequently Asked Question
Name changes can be done once every 60 days. However, it’s not recommended since the URL of your Twitch channel will change automatically while you change the username. Your previous URL will not redirect to the new one. So, either you’ll need to inform your old subscribers about the change or give a redirect link yourself.