In order to create an account in the largest social networking platform, Facebook, you need to provide basic information like your name. However, there can be certain reasons you want to change your Facebook name later.
It can be an unintended spelling mistake or you put a nickname but now want to use the real name. Or perhaps, you are now married, divorced or remarried since creating the account and wish to change the name.
Regardless of the reason, here’s a tutorial to update your Facebook name.
How to Change Name on Facebook using Desktop?
To change name on Facebook using desktop, here are the steps:
1. Open your Facebook account on a desktop browser.
2. Review Facebook’s name standard.
3. Click the down arrow from the top right corner.
4. Select Settings & Privacy>Settings.
5. Click Name under General Account Settings.
6. Enter the new name and click Review Change.
7. Provide your password to confirm and click Save Changes.
Tip: Remember you can only change the name every 60 days.
Change Your Facebook Name on Mobile App
Android and iPhone Facebook app users can follow the steps below:
1. Open your Facebook account.
2. After reviewing their name guidelines, tap the three horizontal lines at the upper right.
3. Scroll down to open Settings & Privacy and select Settings.
4. Tap Personal Information.
5. Select Name, type the new name you desire and tap Review Change.
6. Enter your password and tap Save Changes.
If you want, you can add a nickname, birth name, alternate spelling and others along with the profile name.
Facebook Guidelines for Profile Name
To make the change, you should know the strict rules and guidelines for creating a Facebook name. Let’s take a look at what names are allowed on Facebook.
- The name you choose should also appear on the government-issued IDs (passport, driving license etc.).
- Nickname can be used as a first or middle name as long as it’s a variation of your real name.
- You can list other Names for the account, like maiden name, birth name, alternate spelling, nickname etc.
- Do not impersonate anyone else.
Meanwhile, you can’t include the following in your name:
- Numbers, symbols, special characters, repeating characters, unusual capitalization and punctuation.
- Characters from multiple languages.
- Words or phrases instead of a name.
- Religious or professional titles, like Doctor.
- Suggestive or offensive words.
Why Can’t You Change Name on Facebook?
If you’re having trouble changing the name on Facebook, here are the reasons behind it.
- Your chosen name doesn’t follow Facebook’s name policy.
- You already changed the name in the last 60 days or you tried to update it too frequently.
- You were previously asked to confirm the Facebook name.
- Your given name is not matching with your ID.
To request a name change and confirm it, you can visit Facebook’s official page and submit a form.
Hopefully, the article is helpful with all the possible ways to change a name on Facebook easily. Simply follow their rules and guidelines for profile names to make the change.