Are you looking for a way to go cashless? Or maybe you want to share the monthly rent with friends. Then, Venmo can be the best way for a fast and safe online transaction.
After PayPal owned Venmo in 2013, it built a level of trust among people. Currently, there are more than 60 million Venmo users. With the app, it’s easy to catch up with family or Venmo friends when you split bills of rent, groceries, other utilities, dining, travel trips etc. Have you sent cash for a birthday present to your long-distance love? Sending gifts has now become easier with Venmo without any hassle.
Furthermore, you can pay businesses in associated online apps and websites with your Venmo account, for example, Uber Eats. But what is a Venmo account?
Money in your Venmo account is what you receive as payment from friends or add using the linked bank account or card. However, don’t forget to verify your identity first to use the Venmo balance.
When you’ve access to it, make payments to friends or Venmo authorized apps during checkout. Even it’s also possible to purchase into particular merchant stores using Venmo QR codes. Additionally, you can access Venmo Debit Cards in the US, where Mastercards are accepted.
But sometimes, it’s wise to keep some money in a Venmo account for immediate and faster transactions. So, how to add money to Venmo? This article will provide you step-by-step guidance.
How to Add Money to Venmo Account?
To add money to your Venmo account, you can
- Add money from your linked bank account.
- Add money from your credit or Debit Card.
- Request and receive payments from others.
Let’s get into the details.
How to add money to Venmo using a linked bank account?
During a transaction, Venmo generally uses your balance in the app by default. However, if it’s short of funds, link the bank account to cover the purchase without any charge. Conversely, you can transfer money to your bank account from the Venmo balance.
But do you have a Venmo Debit Card? You can find the option “Add Money” in the app if you have a Venmo Debit Card. On the other hand, if you don’t see the option, apply for the card first to add money to Venmo.
The Venmo Debit Card allows the user to purchase anything outside the app anywhere in the US via Mastercard’s network. Thus, it’s easy to access the Venmo balance. Once you’ve been approved for the card, follow the necessary steps for how to add money to Venmo from your bank account.
1. Add a bank account to the Venmo profile using iPhone or Android.
2. Verify it either using Instant Verification by providing username and password or using Micro transfers having at least $2 in your bank account to avoid overdraft or any bank fees. However, the later one takes 1 business day to process.
3. From the Venmo app, on the top right select three horizontal lines icon.
4. Select Manage Balance under your username.
5. Select Add Money.
6. Enter the amount you want to transfer and select Done.
7. Confirm the bank account you want to transfer the money from and select Next.
8. Review and confirm the transfer information and estimated arrival date and then select Add Money.
Once you initiate the transfer, there is no way to cancel it. But in case you change the mind, transfer the amount back to your bank account when it’s done.
Another key point to remember, it may take 3-5 business days to transfer the money into your Venmo account. Here Cash App is more useful in this case, as bank deposits are made immediately.
Further, the transfer sometimes gets failed due to some issues. Don’t worry, as your money will not move from the bank account to Venmo. You’ll receive an email notification about the transaction failure.
How to add money to Venmo using a Credit Card or Debit Card?
If you don’t want to link the bank account with Venmo, use your Credit or Debit Card for purchasing using the app, paid by the card. However, adding money by Credit or Debit Card are subjected to a standard fee of 3%.
So to add money to Venmo from your Credit or Debit Card, take the steps below.
- From the top of the Venmo app, select the three horizontal lines icon to open the menu.
- Select Manage Balance under your username.
- Select Add Money.
- Enter the amount to add to Venmo and select Done.
- Select the linked Credit Card or Debit Card from which you wish to make the payment.
Are you having trouble adding your card to Venmo? Sometimes, due to a change of ZIP code or address, cards get declined. To solve the problem, contact the card issuer.
However, unlike a bank account, there is no way to transfer funds from the Venmo account to a Credit Card. You cannot even deposit checks or cash directly to Venmo using a Credit or Debit Card. Hence, to add money free in Venmo, it’s better to link it with the bank.
Furthermore, you can’t update or edit the expiration date or any information on the card once it’s linked to Venmo. To add new information, you’ve to delete the old card.
Is There Any Other Way to Add Money to Venmo?
You may wonder how to add money to Venmo at a convenience store. Unfortunately, Venmo doesn’t have any facility to add physical cash from ATMs or any stores like Walmart. But, there is a way to fund money to the Venmo account through its auto-reloads feature.
How Does Venmo Debit Card Reloads Help?
Reloading Venmo balance means covering the amount to make a purchase when you’re out of certain money. Venmo Debit Card purchases are made by Venmo balance. So, what will you do if the purchase amount exceeds the balance available in the account?
Don’t worry. If your Venmo Debit Card purchase is more than what you’ve in the Venmo balance, reloads automatically add money from your linked bank account in $10 increments to cover the total purchase. Additionally, if there is any extra amount from the reloaded fund, you can use it for the next purchase.
For example, suppose you want to purchase something of $45 and have $20 in the Venmo balance. When you enable reloads, it’ll add $30 to the Venmo balance from your selected bank in increments of $10, which is the default reload amount. The extra $5 will remain in your Venmo account.
However, to use the reload, consider the followings:
- You can change the selected bank account and turn on or off reload feature anytime by visiting Settings>Venmo Debit Card in the app.
- Your selected bank account must have sufficient balance to avoid any declined transaction or overdraft fees while covering Venmo Debit Card purchase.
- Remember, there is a gap of 1-5 business days between the reload is triggered to complete the purchase and the fund is added from your bank account when you don’t have enough balance to cover the purchase.
- Moreover, bank transfer transaction (ACH) takes 1-2 business days. So you can see the reload transaction on your bank statement a few days after the purchase is made.
- There is a limit of the total dollar value of reloads spending on Venmo Debit Card purchases. So, once you reach the reload limit, the purchase gets declined if your Venmo balance is less than the total purchase amount.
- Furthermore, Venmo reload is only applicable to cover the final purchase amount, not for ATM withdrawal.
Is There Any Limit For Adding Money to Venmo?
Yes, there is a weekly rolling limit of $1,500.00 to transfer money to your Venmo balance. It means a transaction counts against your limit for exactly one week from the time of transaction.
For example, if you make a payment on Monday at 10.00 am, that payment will no longer count against your limit at exactly 10.01 am the following Monday.
Additionally, when you sign up, if identity verification is not completed, your person-to-person weekly spending limit will be $299.99 only. Once you complete the verification, the combined weekly spending limit is $6,999.99 for Venmo Debit Card purchases and authorized merchant payment or $4,999.99 for person-to-person payment.
However, the limits may change from time to time depending on your Venmo account activity and history. The limit on reloading to your Venmo Debit Card also varies depending on individual transaction history.
If you by any chance exceed the transaction limit, Venmo will freeze your account. Although you can easily unfreeze your Venmo account, it’s better to check the limit from the Venmo Debit Card section in the app.
It’s easy to become a Venmo user if you have a bank account or personal card to add money to Venmo. As you’ve learned the methods to add money to a Venmo account, feel comfortable with a secured transaction.
However, still check for bank credentials before making any transaction. Venmo won’t take any responsibility for a lost transfer. Further, watch out for the Credit Card fee while paying a large amount to purchase. You surely don’t want to pay high-interest fees or cross the weekly limit.