Taking a screenshot of someone’s Instagram story allows you to capture an image and watch it later. Maybe a friend has posted a childhood picture with you or shared a funny meme on their Instagram story and you want to screenshot it.
But while doing so, you might wonder, does Instagram notify when you screenshot a story?
Whether you’re taking a screenshot of a story, reel or post, Instagram does not notify the other person.
But Instagram does notify others when you screenshot a disappearing picture or video sent on a direct message.
In this guide, we’ve discussed everything in detail about taking screenshots on Instagram.
Does Instagram notify when you screenshot a Story?
No, Instagram does not notify users when you screenshot a story.
Though in 2018, Instagram had a feature where users got notifications if someone took a screenshot of their stories or posts. After a few months, the feature was rolled back and no longer available.
But since there was a screenshot notification policy, the platform may bring it back again or a similar feature in the future. So, you need to keep that in mind.
Does Instagram notify users when screenshotting a post?
Similar to stories, Instagram does not notify users when you screenshot their posts.
When does Instagram notify you about a screenshot?
The only moment Instagram will notify you is if someone takes a screenshot of a disappearing photo or video sent in a direct message (DM).
When someone does that, you can see a small hatched circle beside it and that’s the indication.
A disappearing media is when it’s taken using the camera within the DM conversation. They’re visible for a limited time. Once someone leaves the chat, turns off the “Vanish” mode or views it, they disappear.
Instagram users won’t get notified when someone screenshots a photo or video they’ve sent from their camera roll or gallery. Additionally, users also won’t receive notifications for screenshotting their non-disappearing content like texts, hashtags, posts from feeds, etc.
How to avoid Instagram screenshot detection in Direct Messages?
Here’re some tips to avoid Instagram notifying others when you screenshot a disappearing photo or video in Direct Message:
- Use a different camera or device: Simply use another mobile camera to take a photo of the screen.
- Log in to Instagram on a browser: You can log in to Instagram on a web browser, go to DMs and take a screenshot of disappearing media. In this way, Instagram can’t detect screenshots taken on a browser.
- Turn on airplane mode: If you turn on airplane mode on the mobile and then take screenshots, the other user won’t get notified.
- Use a screen recorder: Another easiest method is to download a screen recorder and use it to record any posts/stories/DMs without any permission from Instagram.
- Try third-party websites: You can also use websites like StoriesDown and Picuki to download Instagram posts and view Instagram stories anonymously.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, Instagram doesn’t notify if you screenshot a reel of a user. Similarly, you also won’t get notifications when someone screenshots your reels.
If you want to screenshot someone’s profile, bio or contact details, similar to stories and posts, Instagram doesn’t notify the user about it.
You can only get a notification if someone has taken a screenshot of a disappearing video or photo you sent via DMs. There’ll be a small star icon or hatched circle beside the video/photo.
Did you find this article interesting? Share your feedback with us in the comment section. Also, share the article with your friends looking for the same.