Is your Discord not updating and get stuck in update loop? Do not worry, as most Discord users face this issue often. Instead of running smoothly, the Discord icon keeps spinning and then shows “Discord Update Failed”.
Thankfully, it’s not difficult to solve the issue on your own. Keep reading the article to learn how to fix Discord stuck on checking for updates.
What Is Discord?
Discord is a popular VoIP free video, voice and text application used by gamers worldwide to communicate with friends. Besides gamers, other people also love Discord to talk and share many things on this online chatting platform.
Additionally, it offers many interesting features like
- Start a new server for free and invite friends to join it. Servers can be private or public.
- In the text channels, post custom messages, upload files and share images or links.
- In the voice channels, connect via video or voice call and share screen with others in real-time (Go Live).
- Also, it’s possible to send private messages (DM) to other users or start a one-to-one video and voice call.
Though the Discord team keeps developing the app, users still face some issues. One of the common and irritating problems is Discord update failed on Windows or Discord keeps on updating forever.
Why Does Discord Fail To Update?
There are mainly four reasons behind the Discord checking for updateserror.
- Discord doesn’t allow users administrator-level privileges to install the latest version properly, resulting in an incomplete downloaded update.
- A server problem often causes the problem.
- A glitch in the network or slower connection can also explain why Discord fails to download and install updates.
- Corrupted or outdated cache files sometimes trigger Discord stuck at updating.
How To Fix Discord Stuck On Checking For Updates Error?
Don’t get confused when your Discord keeps failing to update over and over. With the following possible solutions, you can fix Discord stuck on checking for updates 2021.
However, not every time the app itself causes the error. So, before taking major steps, try these two simple fixes.
Fix 1: Restart Router
Some misconfigurations in the router may cause you trouble. Hence, try to reboot it to solve the problem.
Fix 2: Restart PC
Restarting the PC or laptop can help you to get rid of the Discord update loop issue.
- Close the Discord app.
- Restart the PC.
- After reboot, open Discord and check if it’s updating or not.
Are you still getting the error? Then let’s try the following solutions to fix the Discord not updating problem.
1. Run Discord As An Administrator
There may be a chance that you can’t update Discord due to permission issues. An easy solution to fix it is by running the application as an administrator. You can follow the steps below:
- Open the desktop and locate the Discord shortcut.
- Right-click on the Discord icon and select Run as administrator.
- If prompted by the User Account Control, click Yes to allow Discord to make changes on the device.
- Open Discord.
Hopefully, it will now begin the update properly without getting stuck.
2. End Discord Process
If the problem still persists, try this solution. Discord runs in the background and keeps checking for new updates. Unfortunately, due to the background service, it sometimes fails to get the update.
In order to fix the Discord update loop error on Windows 10, you need to end its background process. Here are the steps to follow:
- Right-click on the taskbar on the desktop and select Task Manager.
- End all tasks related to Discord.
- Relaunch Discord.
Now check if it has resolved your issue.
3. Uninstall and Reinstall Discord
Sometimes glitches in the current version may prevent the Discord app from updating. As a result, it gets stuck on checking for an update.
In that case, try to uninstall the app from the computer and reinstall it again to fix the problem. At the same time, you can delete the AppData content as well to clear any corrupted cache. Here’s the complete process:
- First, go to the Task Manager and end all Discord tasks.
- Press Win+R to open the Run command box.
- Type appwiz.cpl and hit enter.
- A page will appear containing Programs and Features. Locate Discord.
- If you find it, right-click on it and select Uninstall.
- Again press Win+R together, type %appdata% in the command box and hit enter.
- A new app folder will open containing all content like cache.
- Find the Discord folder, right-click on it and select Delete. If you can’t find it, the folder is probably hidden. From the top bar, select View to see all hidden items.
- Now, visit the official Discord website to download the latest version.
- Restart the computer and launch Discord to solve the stuck at update loop problem.
4. Disable Windows Defender
Some antivirus software like Windows Defender blocks updating files for security reasons. Such antivirus often detects certain files as a threat and hence, they can’t be downloaded.
If you’re using Discord on Windows 10, disabling Windows Defender may fix when Discord is not updating. Let’s follow the steps to accomplish the task:
- Press the Windows key and click Settings (gear button on the left side).
- Select Update & Security.
- Click Windows Security >Virus & threat protection >Manage settings.
- Toggle off Real-time protection.
- Click Save and Exit.
Install and open Discord again.
5. Contact Discord Support
If nothing works, then you need to contact Discord support regarding the problem. You can visit their help center page and look for the solutions listed there.
If you can’t find the particular solution,follow the process to solve when Discord stuck on checking for updates:
- Click on the Submit a request button on the top bar.
- Fill up all the details, attach files if you have any and submit.
You need to wait for a while for their response.
As a popular communication platform, it’s really annoying when the screen gets stuck on updating. Moreover, you need the app to be updated so that you won’t miss any latest features or development.
Hopefully, the above-mentioned fixes are helpful enough to get rid of the Discord stuck at updating issue. When it starts running smoothly, enjoy gaming and chatting with friends all around the globe.