The popularity of social media platforms is at its peak now. Social media profiles help to maintain personal & professional connections.
Twitter has evolved as a professional social media platform. You can be able to find almost every big or small business or even the freelancers having their Twitter account to promote and share their products or services.
The Twitter handle or your Twitter username is the words that come after the “@” sign. It can be a possibility that when you first opened your Twitter account, you never thought about putting an appropriate handle.
In 2020, when everything is going digital due to the coronavirus pandemic, it is important to have the right impression on your followers.
So, if you think changing your Twitter handle can bring out your profile’s professionalism, this guide can help you.
Why Username Matters?
Your Twitter username is like your signature, which is unique. It reflects your personality in case you are promoting your brand or signing up as a freelancer to show off your unique digital presence.
Before selecting a username, you should keep in mind that it is relatable to your purpose on Twitter. If you are on Twitter to promote your business, then maintaining a professional account can create the desired impression on your followers. It is recommended to keep your Twitter username the same as your other social media platform usernames to help others track your account and makes sense based on your business.
Change Your Name
In order to change your Twitter name, you need to follow the given steps:
1. Sign in to the official Twitter site www.twitter.com or open the Twitter App.
2. Go to your profile.
3. Tap on the edit profile option and start editing your name.
What is the difference between a username and your name?
Everyone has their unique username, and it is used to log in to your account. Plus one can reply to your tweet or can direct message you by using your username only.
Unlike username, the name is public to everyone, and it is your identity on Twitter. Your name appears on everything that you post on the platform or comment on someone’s post.
How long can Names and Usernames be?
1. Your username can be as long as 15 characters.
2. Your display name can be as long as 50 characters.
How to Change Twitter Handle
Before knowing all the details about changing your Twitter handle, you might be interested in creating and securing a username at first.
Creating a new username is not a big deal. However, one needs to put some thoughts while thinking about a cool username. Though usernames can be changed several times, still it’s always better to choose a username that will be suited in the future too.
If the username you have considered is already taken by someone, then a few tricks can help you secure the username.
Suppose you want your Twitter handle as “ FilmyfunUA,” but it is already taken by some user. You can still have the same username by adding some signs. Adding an underscore or hyphen will do the trick. Which means “Filmy_funUA” can be applicable in case it is not taken.
You can also get some inactive user names by approaching them. A simple Google search can help you contact the user who has deactivated their Twitter account. Keep in mind that getting a username from a user doesn’t mean you need to pay them. Twitter doesn’t allow such transactions.
Coming back to the point, is your Twitter Handle not perfect for the current time? If the answer is ‘Yes,’ well…don’t worry, you can change your Twitter Handle in seconds by just following these simple steps:
- Go to your profile icon.
- Select “Settings and Privacy.”
- Under the “Accounts” section, you’ll be able to see a box beside Username. Click on the box and type your new name.
- If the name is already taken by someone, Twitter will tell you “That username has been taken. Please choose another”.
- Now click the “Save Changes” option at the bottom of the screen, and your new Twitter Handle is ready to use.
Note: If you change your name on Twitter, people will see your posts with a new name. This can make them confused, and they’ll not understand that you are posting those things. So, you should first let all your followers that you changed your Twitter Handle before posting anything on your page.
Steps to Change Your Handle on Twitter’s Mobile App?
- Open the Twitter Mobile App, tap on your profile icon, and go to settings and privacy.
- Click on “Account.”
- Tap “Username.”
- Under the “New” option, give the new handle you want to keep.
- If the provided handle is available, a green tick mark will appear. Click on “Save Changes” and boom! Your Twitter Handle will be changed.
How to keep your followers on Twitter when changing the Twitter Handle?
Changing your Twitter Handle can be a risky task. After you change your old Twitter Handle, people will not be able to recognize you. Keep in mind that you have to follow a few steps before changing your handle, which can save you from losing followers:
- Let your followers know it: Before or after changing your Twitter Handle, it is recommended to let your followers know about it. In this way, the followers can recognize you after you change your Twitter Handle.
- Keep the same profile picture: If you change both your Twitter Handle and Profile Picture at the same time, your followers will think you are not known to them, and they can un-follow you. So you should not change your profile picture right after changing your Twitter Handle. People who cannot recognize you from your new name can recognize you from your Profile Picture.
- Get a new account but claim your old account as well: As per Twitter policy, any inactive account’s username can be used by some other active user. This means any other user can get the username of your old account. This is why if you are creating a new Twitter account make sure you claim your old account as well. This is how you can inform your followers about your multiple Twitter accounts.
How often can one change their Twitter handle?
Unlike other social media applications, changing the name on Twitter is very easy. There is no limit on it. You can change it as many times as you want.
Why can’t I register certain usernames?
- Sometimes while changing your Twitter Handle, you can’t select certain user names. This is because those names are already taken by someone, and Twitter won’t allow the same username. In the case of this, you have to select other names that no one has used before.
- While entering the username if you have included any special signs or spaces in the name then the username won’t get accepted.
- After an account gets inactive, it doesn’t mean the username would be available immediately. That’s why the username can’t get registered.
Nowadays, Twitter is indeed one of the most popular social media platforms among people. If you have changed your company name then there’s no need to create another account. Simply follow the mentioned points to change your username and don’t get worried about losing followers.