Are you searching for the best DNS for your PS4? or you are experiencing problems with the current PS4 DNS configuration? If yes, then this article is for you.
It’s really frustrating when you’ve planned to enjoy a long online gaming session but suddenly the game lags. This happens due to the poor internet connection. But sometimes a bad DNS server configuration can be the reason for that. That’s why it’s recommended to set DNS to automatic or default.
In this article, we’ll describe everything about DNS and listed some of the fastest and best DNS servers for your PS4.
What is DNS?
DNS or Domain Name System is basically the phonebook of the internet. The human-readable domain names like amazon.com get translated to machine-readable IP addresses like 192.0.2.44 with the help of DNS.
DNS basically helps to build a strong connection between a human-readable and machine-readable IP address. There may be some causes for the slowing down of your internet speed but a good DNS configuration will surely help you to get good internet speed while playing online games on your PS4.
What is Primary and Secondary DNS?
The primary DNS is the one that contains all the necessary resource code and also processes DNS queries for a domain. On the other hand, Secondary DNS servers contain read-only zone file copies that cannot be updated.
You have to enter both primary and secondary DNS addresses while setting up DNS.
Top 22 DNS Servers for PS4
Here is the list of the 22 best DNS for PS4 that you can use for optimal internet performance. You can use these servers with other consoles or devices too.
|DNS Provider||Primary DNS||Secondary DNS|
You can try any of the DNS for your PS4. However, many gamers have suggested that the Google DNS and Cloudflare DNS work best for them.
How to Setup DNS on PS4?
In order to set up DNS on PS4, here is what you need to do:
- Turn on the PS4 and go to the Settings menu.
- Next, select the Network option.
- From the next menu, select Set Up Internet Connection.
- Now you have to choose either LAN or WiFi depending on the internet connection that you use with your PS4.
- Select Custom from the next menu.
- Choose your Wi-Fi network from the list and select Automatic under IP address settings.
- Under DHCP Hostname choose Do Not Specify.
- You will be prompted now to set up the DNS settings. Select the Manual option that appears on your screen.
- From the above-mentioned list of best DNS for PS4, choose any based on your preference. Select Primary DNS and enter the primary DNS address. Do the same for the Secondary DNS.
- Finally, set MTU as Automatic, the proxy server to Do Not Use, and select Test Internet Connection. Try all of the DNS settings to find out which DNS works based for your PS4 based on your location.
How to Check DNS Speed?
There are generally two methods that you can apply to check DNS speed. The first one is the Manual test and the second is the Automatic test.
For the manual process, you can check each of the DNS mentioned in this article and test the speed. This can be hectic for you, as trying every DNS is a long process.
There are some online DNS servers & speed testing tools (for example, DNSChecker, GRC, MXToolbox) available that you can use for testing the DNS speed automatically.
That was all for the best DNS for PS4. If you are thinking about whether it is safe to change the DNS configuration on PS4, then you should know that using a custom DNS setting will never cause any harm to your PS4.